How much attention do you pay to your gums? Probably not so much. But if you or others in your family have a gummy smile, you may have wondered if there was anything that you could do. Have you ever asked your dentist, “can you raise my gumline?” Well, the answer is yes, something can be done. If you’re noticing too much pink, maybe you need a gum lift.
We’ve all heard of a face lift, and a tummy tuck, but have you ever heard of a gum lift? Just like these common cosmetic surgeries, a gum lift is a surgical procedure requested by cosmetic dentists. It removes excess gum tissue and reshapes the gums for a more attractive, aesthetically pleasing smile.
Schedule your consultation today to gain a more confident smile through cosmetic dentistry! Our practice serves patients from the North Short and Northwest suburbs, but often we receive patients from all over the United States. If you are unhappy with your gummy smile or the shape and symmetry of your gum line, Dr. Fondriest can help. Contact our practice now at 847-234-0517 to schedule your cosmetic consultation.
What is a Gummy Smile?
A gummy smile is a condition in which a person’s teeth appear small, due to an uncommon amount of gingival tissue, or gums. In other words, the gums cover more of the top third of the tooth than is aesthetically pleasing. When a smile does not display the least amount of gum tissue people can feel they have an unattractive, gummy smile. Those who present with a gummy smile are often embarrassed to show their teeth. They can become self-conscious about their smile and often hold back on a happy relaxed smile. If this is you then we say just come and and we can talk about raising the gumline up.and lack self-esteem desiring and even, symmetrical gum line that meets aesthetically with the upper lip.
What Causes a Gummy Smile?
Your smile line–the teeth that show when you smile–relies on several factors, including the size and shape of your teeth, your facial muscles, your gum tissue, and the shape and size of your lips. Those same factors can cause a gummy smile. Gummy smiles occur because of:
- Abnormal tooth eruption: The teeth are normal length, but because of their abnormal eruption they appear shorter.
- Altered active eruption: The teeth erupt correctly, but are covered with too much bone and gum tissue.
- Altered passive eruption: The teeth and bone are within normal parameters, but the teeth are covered with excessive gum tissue.
- Upper jaw protrusion: During development of the jaw, the bone protrudes into the gum tissue, creating a gummy smile.
- Hyperactive upper lip: The upper lip is higher than normal revealing too much gum.
- Hypermobile upper lip: When smiling, the facial muscles pull the top lip up too high, revealing too much gum.
- Short upper lip: The upper lip is too short, revealing too much gum.
- Vertical maxillary access: The vertical dimension of the upper jaw is longer than it should be.
- Super-eruption of the top front teeth: When the lower jaw is smaller than the upper jaw, the top teeth drift lower, pulling the gum tissue with them.
- Bruxism: When people grind their teeth, or brux, they wear away tooth structure, shortening their teeth. As a result, the upper teeth super-erupt, meaning they move down to come into contact with the lower teeth, bringing the gum tissue with them.
Repositioning your Gumline
A gum lift repositions the gumline of your upper teeth by raising the gumline up toward your top lip. This helps show more tooth structure and can improve your smile. It has been estimated that twice as many women (14%) have gummy smiles compared with men (7%). When it comes to an esthetically pleasing smile there is a proportion of tooth based on a width to length ratio, a ratio of gums to teeth, and a ratio of teeth to lips. By removing excessive gum tissue the correct proportion of gum to tooth can be revealed, and the proper proportion of length to width tooth ratio can be met.
Many dentists practice cosmetic dentistry, but it is important that a gum lift is performed by an experienced and skilled practitioner. In Dr. Fondriest’s practice the procedure is performed by a periodontist and supervised by Dr. Fondriest himself.
What is a Gingivectomy?
Dr. Fondriest’s periodontist partners perform gingivectomies in their own offices. Gingivectomies are beneficial in several ways:
- Removes gum tissue with precision lines.
- It sterilizes the area as it removes tissue.
- Stimulates the regeneration of blood vessels, and damaged nerves, to promote healing.
- It seals tissue, so no sutures are necessary.
- Because it seals tissue, bleeding is minimal and recovery is prompt.
The specialist will raise and even the gums exposing more tooth surface. The procedure is quick and comfortable, and recovery takes only a few days. Within one day, you will be able to eat and drink. You will probably be prescribed an over-the-counter pain relief medication to take for two days following the procedure. During recovery, follow Dr. Fondriest’s instructions to keep your oral cavity clean and prevent infection.
How Much Does it Cost to Raise my Gumline?
The cost of this cosmetic procedure varies, because each patient’s goals and gum lines are different. Some patients may require a gum lift on only one to two teeth, while other patients may require a gum lift for their entire smile. The typical cost range for treatment is about $1000 to $4,000 dollars.
Since most gum lifts are performed as part of a cosmetic procedure, rather than a restorative one, most dental insurance plans will not cover the procedure. However, most patients find that the long-term benefits of a more symmetrical, aesthetic smile are worth the cost of a gum lift. A consultation with Dr. Fondriest can help you determine an estimate of costs for your specific smile.
If you have asked yourself doctor, can you raise my gumline
Gum lifts are just one part of our cosmetic dental services. Dr. James Fondriest offers a full array of cosmetic dentistry treatments, from cosmetic bonding to porcelain veneers and professional teeth whitening. Our team is pleased to welcome patients desiring a beautiful smile. Schedule your next consultation or appointment by calling (847) 234-0517. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Dr Fondriest is a Nationally recognized and highly sought after cosmetic dentist. He serves clients from throughout the United States