Dental implants are an excellent option for patients requiring a replacement tooth. However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for a dental implant. Your Lake Forest dentist has provided the following information to see if a dental implant is the right procedure for you.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant consists of a titanium post that is placed in the jaw, where it eventually integrates with the jawbone. Your Lake Forest dentist can then attach a restoration to this post; he will place either a crown, partials, or full dentures, depending on your level of tooth loss. This method of tooth replacement looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth.
Many patients are curious as to how a dental implant functions. Essentially, a dental implant can:
• Support the placement of one or more tooth restorations without negatively affecting the surrounding teeth.
• Makes a denture more secure and comfortable by providing a solid attachment point.
Are Dental Implants Better Than Removable Replacement Teeth?
Naturally, everyone’s needs are different, but in general, a dental implant provides a superior alternative to removable dentures or a bridge. Here’s a look at some of the advantages of implant-retained replacement teeth:
• Reliability—The success rate of dental implants is high, in those with ideal health, and they are regarded as a great option to replace a missing tooth (or teeth).
• Tooth-saving—When you lose a tooth, your remaining teeth begin to shift out of place, which can cause a number of oral health issues. By replacing a missing tooth with an implant-retained restoration, you are maintaining the proper alignment of your natural teeth.
• Confidence—With implant-retained dentures, you won’t have to worry about your dentures slipping while eating, and you won’t have to use messy pastes or glue as you would with removable dentures.
• Aesthetics—Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth. Many of our patients forget that they ever had missing teeth.
Are Dental Implants Right For You?
Dental implants are an ideal option for people who have good overall oral health. The presence of advanced gum disease may eliminate you as a candidate for dental implants. Also, an adequate amount of bone in the jaw is necessary to support the implant.
Schedule An Appointment Today
Dr Fondriest is a Nationally recognized and highly sought after cosmetic dentist serving clients from throughout the United States