A bright smile instills confidence. According to a recent Kelton Research study, the majority polled said a beautiful smile makes a person appear more successful and attractive. In addition, a large portion of the people polled said a smile was one of the first things they notice when meeting someone for the first time. Many of us are embarrassed of our smiles due to teeth stains. In an effort to improve their smiles, Americans spent over 1.4 billion last year alone on over-the-counter teeth whiteners. Unfortunately, for those with permanent, or intrinsic stains, store bought whiteners are often unable to address stubborn discoloration. This is why your Lake Forest dentist, Dr. James Fondriest, provides patients with permanent whitening options. In today’s blog, Dr. Fondriest explains how our cosmetic dental procedures can offer brighter, more confident smiles.
What are Intrinsic Stains?
The most common teeth stains are known as extrinsic stains. These occur on the surface of our teeth and can typically be removed with traditional teeth whitening systems. Intrinsic stains affect the layers of dentin beneath your tooth enamel. Your teeth are composed of three major layers. The enamel coats the surface and protects your teeth from bacteria and injury. Beneath the enamel is a layer of tooth structure known as dentin, which surrounds the third layer, your inner pulp, the nerve center of the tooth. A variety of factors can lead to intrinsic stains, including:
- Injury, such as cracks or chips, that expose the dentin
- The use of certain antibiotics, such as tetracycline
- Overexposure to fluoride at a young age
Thankfully, at Lake Forest Dental Arts, Dr. Fondriest can mask intrinsic stains using the latest in cosmetic dental care.
The first step in improving your smile involves a consultation with Dr. Fondriest. He will perform a thorough oral examination. Dr. Fondriest believes in artistic smile design. He believes that your dental work should reflect your personality and blend with your facial structure. Dr. Fondriest studies your lip drape, facial asymmetries, and the way your mouth moves when you speak, to help him design the perfect restorations to correct your smile. He will sit down with you to discuss your smile goals and what the procedure will work best to address your esthetic dental needs.
Our Whitening Options
Our permanent whitening systems not only mask intrinsic discoloration, they help protect and preserve your teeth. Our cosmetic techniques include:
- Porcelain Veneers: After preparing the surface of your teeth, Dr. Fondriest will apply thin shells of dental porcelain. Our veneers are shaded to blend seamlessly with your smile, and custom-made for a comfortable and natural looking fit. Veneers are stain resistant, and with proper care, can provide decades of smile improvement. In addition to permanent whitening, porcelain veneers repair cracked and chipped teeth, close gaps between teeth, correct the appearance of misalignment, and lengthen worn down teeth.
- No-Prep Veneers: Unlike porcelain veneers, no-prep veneers require no preparation of your teeth and therefore no loss of tooth structure. No-prep veneers are composed of incredibly thin porcelain, and their translucency and color can be altered to ensure they match your natural teeth. With no-prep veneers, patients receive smile restorations that completely mask stubborn intrinsic stains.
- Dental Bonding: Made of a special composite resin, our bonding material can be shaded to match your smile. Dr. Fondriest uses dental bonding to provide tooth-colored fillings for cavity repair. Dental bonding can also restore fractured or broken teeth. The bonding material can also be used to erase unsightly intrinsic staining. Dr. Fondriest applies several thin layers of bonding material, then sculpts and molds the tooth as the material cures.
Schedule a Visit with Your Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist
Interested in transforming your smile with our innovative cosmetic procedures? At Lake Forest Dental Arts, we provide permanent teeth whitening solutions. A healthy smile doesn’t just affect your teeth, but helps maintain your overall health, as well. Talk to Dr. Fondriest today! We offer patients the latest in innovative restorative and cosmetic dental procedures to obtain healthy, beautiful smiles. Call our cosmetic dentist at 847-234-0517.
Dr Fondriest is a Nationally recognized and highly sought after cosmetic dentist serving clients from throughout the United States