Dr. James Fondriest and our staff at Lake Forest Dental Arts would like to help educate our patients on heart health. We deeply care about the overall health of all of our patients. Heart disease is a leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. Below are some facts and statistics about heart disease that you may not know.
Heart Disease Facts
- Among all ethnic groups, heart disease is the leading cause of death. The demographic most prone to heart problems is Caucasians. African Americans have the second highest risk.
- In 2008, heart disease was responsible for one out of every four deaths.
- The most common type of heart problems are coronary heart disease.
- Coronary heart disease is projected to cost the United States government over $108 billion.
- The state with the highest incidence of heart disease is Mississippi. The lowest incidence rate is in Minnesota.
- Almost 50% of sudden deaths from cardiac arrest occur outside of a hospital.
- About 37% of the population holds two or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
Common Risk Factors for Heart Disease
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Poor oral hygiene
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Lake Forest Dental Arts would like to ask our readers to educate themselves on heart disease and learn how to reduce their risk for developing heart problems. If you currently have heart disease, make sure to tell Dr. Fondriest and our staff so that we can better serve your needs. For questions or to schedule an appointment, contact our Chicago dentist office at (847) 234-0517. We serve patients from North Shore, Winnetka, Highland Park, Glenview, Lake Forest, and the surrounding Chicago communities.