Have you considered getting porcelain veneers placed to improve the appearance of your smile? If you’ve answered yes, then take care to read today’s blog post. Here, we discuss how the veneers’ process works.
- Preparation. The start of the veneers process begins with the preparatory work. At this point, the dentist removes a small portion of your enamel—about 0.5 to 0.7 millimeters—which is roughly the thickness of an egg shell. This tiny bit of enamel removal is necessary in order to allow the veneer shell to fit properly.
- Impressions. Next, the dentist takes impressions of your mouth; an impression is essentially an imprint of your teeth completed with putty. Your Lake Forest, IL dentist uses a mouth piece covered in a putty-like material to capture the shape of your newly prepared teeth. These impressions travel to a specialized lab for manufacturing, which could take up-to two weeks.
- Placing temporaries. Once the impressions have been made, the dentist bonds a temporary veneer in place. This allows your tooth to remain protected whilst your await your permanent veneer.
Patients should note that a temporary veneer is quite fragile and very susceptible to breaking. Thus, watching your diet to ward off foods that could damage the veneer is key throughout this short time period.
- Checking the veneer. After your veneers have arrived, the dentist won’t immediately bond the tooth enhancement in place. Instead, he measures the shell against your prepared tooth to check for fit. Should the veneer need some minor corrections, Dr. Fondriest completes those during the appointment.
Furthermore, the dentist double checks for color to ensure it perfectly matches your surrounding teeth.
- Bonding the new veneer. When the veneer is perfect, the dentist starts the bonding procedure. Once the bonding agent and the veneer is on the enamel, the dentist uses a special curing light to harden the material. The end result is a beautifully enhanced smile that can last for years to come.
Lake Forest Dental Arts Provides Dental Enhancement Procedures
If you’re interested in veneers and would like more information on the procedure, talk to Dr. Fondriest. He can highlight the process and explain proper aftercare. To schedule an appointment with our Lake Forest, IL dental practice, call us at (847) 234-0517. Also, visit our website for services, testimonials, and before-and-after gallery. Dr. Fondriest and his staff welcome patients from all of the surrounding cities of Chicago.