With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, our team in Lake Forest has prepared some tips to ensure that your mouth is kissable. During this time of year, we all become more self-conscious about the esthetic appearance of our smiles, fresh breath, and soft lips. Below are some helpful tips to ensure that your Valentine’s Day is special and memorable.
- Apply a moisturizing lip balm throughout the day. The harsh winter months wreak havoc on our lips. Balm will keep your lips nourished, hydrated, and moisturized.
- Avoid foods that cause bad breath. This includes onions, garlic, and spices such as curry. As our digestive system breaks down these foods, their odor-causing compounds release when we exhale.
- Stay hydrated! Drink water throughout the day to help dilute harmful particles that cause bad breath. Water helps rinse food debris from your mouth as well.
- Schedule a dental cleaning before Valentine’s Day. To freshen up your breath and brighten your smile, a dental cleaning will remove plaque, tartar, and debris that contribute to bad breath. In addition, dental cleanings also remove surface stains on your teeth.
- If you use mints or chewing gum to freshen your breath, opt for sugarless products that contain xylitol. This ingredient doesn’t contain the sugar that is harmful to your teeth, and xylitol actually starves the harmful bacteria in your mouth.
- Ask Dr. Fondriest if adding an antiseptic mouthwash is right for you. Some mouthwashes help kill odor-causing bacteria in the mouth.
If you are still feeling self-conscious about your smile or breath, contact Dr. James Fondriest for help. He can prescribe breath control products that eliminate halitosis. Lake Forest Dental Arts also provides convenient at-home whitening systems to brighten your smile. To schedule a consultation, contact our Chicago dentist office today at (847) 234-0517. We improve smiles in Winnetka, Highland Park, Glenview, Lake Forest, North Shore, and the surrounding Chicago neighborhoods.