Dental crowns are often the recommended treatment for a variety of dental issues. Dental crowns can keep a weak or slightly damaged tooth from breaking or falling apart; they can restore a broken, severely worn, or severely decayed tooth; and they can be used to cover a discolored or misshapen tooth. Dental crowns are also used to cover an implant post, and to hold dental bridges in place. There are various materials available for the fabrication of dental crowns. One of the most esthetic is the porcelain crown.
Although not as strong as porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns, porcelain crowns have many advantages:
- Thinner: Porcelain can be made thinner allowing the patient to retain more of their natural tooth structure.
- Esthetic: With porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns a black line is often noticeable at the gum line from the underlying metal crown. All-porcelain crowns do not have metal so do not show a black line, they will not stain, and they have similar light transmitting properties as natural teeth
- Biocompatibility: Porcelain crowns are more biocompatible than metal crowns, resulting in a reduced risk of gingival irritation or recession.
The price of a porcelain crown varies according to the choice of material, the time, and the expertise it takes to place. Some crowns may cost $600, others $1,000, and still others $3,000. It depends on the quality of the porcelain. The best quality porcelain will have the most advantages including:
- More strength
- Better looking
- Better occlusion
- Less likely to stain, leak, or decay
- Surrounding soft tissues, and adjacent teeth will remain healthier
About Your Lake Forest Dentist:
Aside from providing dependable general and restorative dentistry services to our community, Dr. James Fondriest also holds respected academic appointments at the Pankey Institute in Key Biscayne, FL, and the Spear Institute in Scottsdale, AZ, and he is an adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Prosthodontics at the University of Florida Dental School. At Lake Forest Dental Arts, Dr. Fondriest combines his impressive array of experience with modern technology and caring, compassionate, knowledgeable staff, and we proudly serve patients from Chicago and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at (847) 234-0517.