For many years dental crowns were primarily made of metal, causing smiles to be negatively affected cosmetically when restorative treatment was needed. But modern porcelain crowns make it possible to improve both the function and appearance of your smile, all while helping to protect fragile teeth by effectively addressing issues like cavities, cracks, wear, and more. Of course, crowns can do a lot more than protect a damaged tooth. They can also replace one that has fallen out or been extracted. So, if you’ve delayed restorative treatment for fear of what it will do to your smile, now is a wonderful time to see how porcelain crowns can help!
Porcelain Brings Beauty to Restorative Treatment
There are a number of reasons porcelain crowns have become one of the most popular forms of restorative treatment. For instance:
- Whether a crown is being used to protect a damaged tooth or to replace one that fell out or was extracted, it can be a lovely addition to your smile.
- Porcelain can be customized to match your teeth in size, shape, and even contouring.
- Crowns can be used as part of a dental bridge or dental implant, creating a stable form of completion after tooth loss.
- Because porcelain is much like your teeth’s natural enamel, crowns can be taken care of the same way you care for your existing teeth.
- They are both stain and chip-resistant.
- With proper care, including regular checkups and cleanings, a porcelain crown should last many years, even longer than a decade in some cases.
It is important to keep in mind that if you’re in need of restorative care, don’t delay treatment. Dental problems tend to worsen with time, if not treated. So instead of worrying about how your smile will be affected, ask your dentist how a porcelain crown could help.