It is important to eat healthy not just for your body but for your teeth. Certain foods are good for your teeth just as certain foods are better for your overall health than others. Foods that are good for your teeth are good for your gums. It is important to keep your gums healthy because they not only keep your teeth in place, but the same bacteria that cause gum disease can cause diseases throughout your body. If you cannot avoid the seven foods that are bad for your teeth, rinse with water or brush your teeth as soon after eating them as possible.
Foods and Your Teeth
You may not realize how certain foods can affect your teeth and gums, and if you practice good oral hygiene you may not be too worried about it. However, sticky, sugary foods and acidic foods and beverages can dissolve tooth enamel and cause cavities. The seven foods below are bad for your teeth:
- Dried fruits: They are sticky and high in sugar.
- Sugary Drinks: High in sugar and acids.
- Hard Candies: Sticky, sugary and take a long time to dissolve.
- Alcohol: Irritates soft oral tissues and causes dry mouth.
- Acidic foods: Such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, and diet sodas wear away tooth enamel.
- Starchy foods: They break down into sugars.
- Coffee: Stains your teeth and makes them sticky so food debris and harmful bacteria can stick to them easily.
About Your Lake Forest Dentist:
Aside from providing dependable family, general, and restorative dentistry services to our community, Dr. James Fondriest also holds respected academic appointments at the Pankey Institute in Key Biscayne, FL, and the Spear Institute in Scottsdale, AZ, and he is an adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Prosthodontics at the University of Florida Dental School. At Lake Forest Dental Arts, Dr. Fondriest combines his impressive array of experience with modern technology and caring, compassionate, knowledgeable staff, and we proudly serve patients from Chicago and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at (847) 234-0517.