Have you ever heard of a gummy smile? This refers to excessive gingival display, when too much gum tissue has a negative impact on the smile’s appearance. Fortunately, we can address the problem with a comfortable cosmetic procedure known as a gum lift.
Try Our Quiz on Gum Lifts
- True or False: We can address excessive gingival display.
- True or False: The dentist can remove the excess tissue with a gum lift.
- True or False: The procedure will be comfortable.
- True or False: There are multiple causes of a gummy smile.
- True. When a patient has excess gum tissue, this can make the teeth appear small or out of alignment. A gum lift can allow our team to correct the problem and restore the beauty of your smile.
- True. We will work with a periodontist, who will gently remove the excess gum tissue from your smile. In the process, the doctor can alter the gum line and improve the overall esthetics of your smile. Dr. Fondriest will work alongside the periodontist to ensure steps are taken to work around restorations, such as crowns or veneers. He can also ensure the periodontist takes the appearance of the smile into consideration as the excess gum tissue is removed.
- True. We can offer a local anesthesia and discuss sedation options for patients with anxiety. We always take steps to ensure the procedure is comfortable for the patient.
- True. The issue can be caused by excess gums, or a combination of excessive gingival tissue and bone tissue. Bruxism (teeth grinding) can also wear down teeth and cause super-eruption, which impacts the gum line. Issues can also occur if the upper lip is too short and doesn’t completely cover the gums and teeth, or if the distance between the nose and upper lip is shorter than normal. Teeth drifting due to a larger upper jaw, a hyper mobile upper lip, and a longer vertical dimension on the lower jaw can also lead to problems requiring a lift to address.
Do You Need a Gum Lift?
Our team can help you obtain a gorgeous new smile that you’ll be eager to show the world. To learn more, schedule a consultation by calling Lake Forest Dental Arts in Lake Forest, IL, at 847-234-0517. We also proudly serve residents of Chicago and all surrounding communities in the Chicago Metro area.