You probably know that today is Earth Day. Living a “green” lifestyle has become the focus for many Americans over the last few years, but Earth Day began in 1970!
These are just some of the simple ways that you can be more eco-friendly (you might know all of these, but it’s always good to have a reminder!) :
- Leave the faucet off when you brush your teeth. Limit your shower time too, and turn the water off when lathering.
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery store, and reuse the plastic bags you already have.
- Walk wherever you can instead of driving. This will also save gas money and keep you healthy.
- Use the stove and oven less in warmer months than in colder months. Toaster ovens and microwaves are great time and energy savers. And cold dishes, like salad and gespacho, beat the heat in summer months!
- Turn off lights in rooms that aren’t occupied.
- Try to keep your thermostat at or around 70 in the winter and 75 in the summer.
- Buy mercury-free batteries when you can, and find a recycling center for batteries that contain mercury. Use natural, chemical-free cleaning products.
- Buy locally produced goods and food. You’ll be supporting your local economy and decreasing your carbon footprint.
- Reuse plastic food containers when possible. You can store leftovers in them, and you can also use them to store nails, buttons, beads, and any number of small household items.
Dr. James Fondriest is a cosmetic and general dentist in Lake Forest IL. Call Lake Forest Dental Arts at 847.234.0517. Dr. Fondriest serves patients from the greater Chicago area, as well as the North Shore suburbs of Winnetka, Highland Park, Glenview, Lincolnshire, Grayslake, and nearby towns.