Everybody wants white teeth but going to the dentist for a bleaching isn’t always convenient. Sometimes it isn’t even an option. For instance, you may want a cheaper way out, or maybe your dentist doesn’t offer in-office whitening. You could get a take-home whitening kit from your dentist, or you could buy an over-the-counter whitening kit or whitening toothpaste at your neighborhood pharmacy. Regardless of how you decide to whiten your teeth, do you know what ingredients are in your tooth whitening products?
It’s always good to be informed. The more information you have, the better decisions you can make. It doesn’t matter whether you are buying a house, a car, or toothpaste. The more you know the better. There are some strange sounding ingredients on the boxes of tooth whitening products. Do you know what they are or what they do? You may find the following in various toothpastes or tooth whitening kits:
- Calprox: A non-abrasive, calprox works to dissolve the pellicle layer. Stains, plaque, food, and bacteria adhere to the pellicle layer contributing to tooth discoloration.
- Hydrated Silica: A mild abrasive for removing tooth stains, and when combined with calcium carbonate it also helps to eliminate plaque.
- Peroxide: Used to bleach tooth enamel.
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP): Helps block tooth enamel from developing new stains.
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda): Used as a mild abrasive to help remove tooth stains.
- Sodium Tripolyphosphate: A detergent used in whitening toothpastes to help remove tooth stains.
About Your Lake Forest Dentist:
Aside from providing dependable general, and restorative dentistry services to our community, Dr. James Fondriest also holds respected academic appointments at the Pankey Institute in Key Biscayne, FL, and the Spear Institute in Scottsdale, AZ, and he is an adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Prosthodontics at the University of Florida Dental School. At Lake Forest Dental Arts, Dr. Fondriest combines his impressive array of experience with modern technology and caring, compassionate, knowledgeable staff, and we proudly serve patients from Chicago and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation, call our office today at (847) 234-0517.