You may not know many facts about your teeth, except for the consequences of poor oral hygiene. Here are some fun facts about teeth to boost your dental IQ:
- Human children lose their first tooth around age 5- 7.
- A human baby has 20 teeth, and they start to emerge from the gums at about 6 months of age.
- Human adults have 32 permanent teeth.
- Humans will have only 2 sets of teeth in their entire lifetime.
- Sharks will have around 40 sets of teeth in their lifetime.
- Cats have 30 teeth.
- The largest mammal on earth, the blue whale, has no teeth.
- Dolphins only get one set of teeth to last a lifetime.
- Adult humans have two canine teeth, used for tearing up food.
- Humans use their molars to grind up food.
- Humans use their incisors (the 4 front teeth, 2 upper and 2 lower) to bite food.
Teeth are vital to survival for many animals, including humans. Since you’ll only have two sets of teeth in your lifetime, you need to take good care of them. The main components of preventive dental care are six-month checkups and cleanings with Dr. Fondriest, along with daily brushing and flossing.